NHSCO is a vibrant, united and dynamic community of students with a passion for music. Founded in 2005 with just 10 members, it has since grown into a large group of about 48 people. Although we are small compared to many other schools' Chinese Orchestra CCAs, we strive to equal them in standards and performance, with determination, hard work and help from our instructors, teachers and peers.
In our journey in NHSCO, we learn about different forms of music and different instruments from those we normally encounter. We learn to play traditional Chinese instruments such as the Erhu, Pipa, Yang Qin and the Suona. However, we play not only traditional Chinese music but also Western pop songs and other modern music forms. In addition, we also form strong and lasting bonds with other members, develop teamwork and leadership skills, and most importantly, have fun.
Our aim is to bring awareness of Chinese music and instruments to the pupils in NUS High, and to people all around as well.
- Training twice a week under the guidance of highly qualified musicians from professional Chinese Orchestras
- Performances at various school events, including Chinese New Year Concert, Speech Day, Singapore International Mathematical Challenge (SIMC) etc.
- External Performances
- Combined Performing Arts Concerts (Colour Fushion I and II)
- Biennial NUS High Chinese Orchestra Family Concerts
- Annual March Camp
- Field Trips
- Competitions, notably the biennial Singapore Youth Festival (SYF) Central Judging
- Chinese Orchestra Family Concerts for the past years (2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 & 2014)
- Singapore Youth Festival (SYF) Central Judging – Bronze Medal (2011) (Junior College category)
- Singapore Youth Festival (SYF) Arts Presentation – Certificate of Distinction (2013) (Junior College category)
We would like to invite all students with a passion for traditional music and some knowledge of a musical instrument to apply to join us! By choosing Chinese Orchestra, you would get an exceptional CCA experience like no other.
The Chinese Orchestra Room and NHSCO members!
Our Junior College section participating in SYF 2011 – the smallest group ever to participate and clinch an award!
Our Junior College section participating in SYF 2013, they won the Distinction Award!
Chinese New Year Performance!
The whole Orchestra at work!