Home > News & Events > International and National Events > Singapore International Mathematics Challenge > The Challenge
- The SIMC is opened to students aged 15 – 18 years old or studying the equivalent of Grades 9 – 12 (as of Year 2020) from invited schools.
- Participation is team-based. Each school is allowed one team. Each team should consist of three students.
Format of Challenge
- SIMC is a mathematical modelling challenge based on real-world applications. Participants will be given the Challenge during the event.
- Each team may use any resources such as textbooks, computers, software packages or the Internet independently without guidance from others.
- Participants are to work on the Challenge in their individual teams. The Chief Setter will conduct a workshop and Question and Answer (Q&A) for the participants on the first day, where they can pick up tips on tackling the Challenge.
- Teams will be given 7 days to work on the Challenge. The presentation of solutions must be video-recorded. The maximum length of the video is 10 minutes, with the aspect ratio of 16:9. Team members should take about 1 minute to introduce the team, school and country before presenting the solutions.
- Participants are required to sign a declaration to uphold the integrity of the challenge. Participants found to infringe on this declaration would have their videos taken down. Details to the declaration signing will be given nearer to the event.
- All videos are to be uploaded by 20 November, 0800 hours Singapore time (GMT/UTC +8). The URL for uploading videos will be given nearer to the date of Challenge. Teams that have uploaded videos before the deadline may update their videos if they wish to make changes to their submission. Any changes after the deadline will not be allowed.
- The videos will be published on a website for all to view latest by 27 November. The URL for viewing of videos will also be given nearer to the date of Challenge.
- There will not be any judging of the solutions. All participants who submitted the solution will be given certificates of participation