For Year 1 admission in 2023, 100% of the places are offered via the DSA-Sec Exercise. Registration for DSA-Sec Exercise is at the MOE centralised DSA-Sec online portal from 5 May to 1 June 2022. For more details, please refer to MOE website – https://www.moe.gov.sg/secondary/dsa.
If there are vacancies after the DSA-Sec Exercise, interested students must indicate their interest and register for the Supplementary Intake Exercise (SIE) from 1 November 2022 to the third day of release of PSLE results.
For Year 3 admission in 2023, the registration is from 15 to 29 August 2022 at Year 3 Admission Online Application Portal.
2. How old must an applicant be to qualify for admission?
For admission to Year 1 at NUS High School, Singapore mainstream schools' applicants must currently be in Primary Six. Non mainstream schools' applicants must either be currently reading or have completed Singapore Primary Six education (or its equivalent). In addition, applicants should not be older than 15 years of age as of 1 January 2023. The Year 1 DSA-Sec is not open to International Students (IS) not residing in Singapore.
For admission to Year 3 at NUS High School, Singapore mainstream schools' applicants must currently be in Secondary Two. Non mainstream schools' applicants must either be currently reading or have completed Singapore Secondary Two education (or its equivalent). In addition, applicants should not be older than 17 years of age as of 1 January 2023. The Year 3 Admission is not open to Singapore mainstream schools' Secondary Two students who are currently studying in IP school / IP track or were posted to a secondary school under the DSA-Sec Exercise or Admissions Exercise for International Student (AEIS).
3. What if I do not have internet access for online application?
For Year 1 DSA-Sec applicants with no internet access, please approach MOE Customer Service Centre.
For Year 3 Admission and Year 1 SIE applicants with no internet access, please approach NUS High School. We have prepared a laptop for you to apply online.
4. When do I have to submit the supporting documents to NUS High School?
For Year 1 DSA-Sec applicants:
Before the Selection Camp: The details for submission of the portfolio including scanned copies of P4, P5 and P6 semester 1 school report books, achievements, competitions, awards and scholarships certificates will be announced after the Selection Tests. Only applicants who have been shortlisted for the DSA Selection Camp are required to do so.
For Year 3 Admission applicants:
Before the Selection Tests: Portfolio including photocopies of the Primary 6, Secondary 1 and Secondary 2 semester 1 school report books, awards, achievements and scholarships certificates are to be uploaded to the Year 3 Admission Online Application Portal by 29 August 2022. All Year 3 Admission applicants are required to do so.
For Year 1 SIE applicants:
From 1 to 14 Nov 2022: Portfolio including scanned copies of the P4, 5 and 6 school report books, awards, achievements and scholarships certificates are to be uploaded to the NUS High School Online Indication of Interest by 14 Nov 2022. All SIE applicants are required to do so.
As supporting documents are non-returnable, the applicant is advised to provide only scanned copies of the original documents.
5. What supporting documents do i need to submit to NUS High School? In what format should the documents be?
The shortlisted Year 1 applicants and all Year 3 applicants are to submit the following scanned documents in Jpeg or PDF format before attending the selection camp / interview.
1. P4 to P6 report books (Year 1) / P6 to Sec 2 report books (Year 3)
2. Achievements certificates (optional)
3. Awards & scholarships certificates (optional)
4. Any other activities outside schools that showed the applicants' passion and talent in Math and/or Science (optional)
6. Does NUS High School admit students via DSA sports talents?
No. We only have Mathematics and Science talent areas for DSA-Sec.
7. Is there DSA selection test, camp and interview this year? Is there Year 3 admission test and interview this year? Is there SIE interview this year?
Yes. The Year 1 DSA-Sec Selection Tests in Mathematics and Science will be on the 2 July 2022. The Selection Camp and Interview will be on the 16 and 26 July 2022 respectively. All applicants will sit for the Selection Tests. Only shortlisted applicants will attend the Selection Camp. Thereafter, applicants who need to be further assessed will attend a Selection Interview.
The Year 3 Admission Selection Tests will be on the 13 September 2022 and the Selection Interview will be on the 27 September 2022. All applicants will sit for the selection tests in Mathematics and Science. Only shortlisted applicants will attend the Year 3 Interview.
The SIE Interview will be between 4th and 6th day from the release of the PSLE results. Only shortlisted applicants will attend the SIE interview.
8. How do you shortlist applicants for the selection camp / interview?
We will shortlist the applicants through their performance in the Selection Tests, their primary school test and exam results (mastery of primary school syllabus in math and science), participation and achievements in math and science related competitions and programmes. We will also look at the related CCA achievements, awards, scholarships, projects and so on.
9. When will I be informed if I am shortlisted for the selection camp or interview?
For Year 1 DSA-Sec applicants:
After the Selection Tests. Shortlisted applicants will be informed by 14 July 2022 for the Selection Camp. The Selection Camp will be held on 16 July 2022.
For Year 3 Admission applicants:
After the Selection Tests. Shortlisted applicants will be informed by 23 September 2022 for the Selection Interview. The Selection Interview will be held on 27 September 2022.
For Year 1 SIE applicants:
Shortlisted applicants will be informed by the 3rd day from the release of the PSLE results.
10. Where will the selection be held?
For Year 1 DSA-Sec applicants
The Year 1 Selection Tests will be conducted at NUS Multi-Purpose Hall or NUS High School. Applicants will be informed of the exact venue by the end of June 2022. The Selection Camp and Selection Interview will be held at NUS High School.
For Year 3 Admission
The Year 3 Selection Tests and Selection Interview will be held at NUS High School.
For Year 1 SIE applicants
The Year 1 SIE Selection Interview will be held at NUS High School.
11. What will the selection test, camp and interview be based on?
NUS High School considers various qualities and attributes and does not focus on students' past achievements alone. The selection tests, camp and interview assess the understanding and application of mathematics and science that have been taught in schools. There will also be general knowledge questions to assess how widely read students are in the fields of mathematics and the sciences. We also look for qualities such as problem solving abilities, passion and motivation, independence, creativity and communication abilities.
12. What if I am unable to attend the selection test, camp or interview?
Applicants who have registered but are unable to attend the selection because of official engagement or medical condition will have to write in to the Principal at least one week in advance. The application will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
13. How would I know if I am accepted by NUS High School?
For Year 1 DSA-Sec, successful applicants will be notified and given a Letter of Offer (Confirmed Offer / Wait List) by August 2022 via the main contact email address registered with MOE Centralised DSA-Sec Online Portal.
For Year 3 Admission, successful applicants will be notified and given a Letter of Confirmed Offer via e-mail by mid October 2022.
For Year 1 SIE, successful applicants will be notified and given a Letter of Offer (Confirmed Offer / Wait List) within the Secondary One Option Phase.
14. If I am posted to a secondary school via DSA-Sec Exercise, can I still apply for a transfer to other schools after getting the PSLE results?
No. You are not eligible for transfer unless there is / are extenuating reason(s).
15. Is ESIS applicable in NUSHS?
Yes. ESIS is awarded to students who are admitted to all independent schools, based on their PSLE results.
16. Where can we apply to with the NUS High School Diploma?
NUS High school diploma is well recognized by both local and
17. Is the NUS High School Diploma comparable to the Polytechnic
These are two different systems were built to serve quite distinct purposes. One prepares students for further studies in university; the other prepares students for the workforce in the immediate future.
18. How do you compare the NUS High School Diploma to the GCE A-Level?
NUS High School’s curriculum is designed specifically for the selected 180 students with suitable talent and passion in math and science.
19. What is the percentage of students who study in local and overseas universities?
Around 60-75% choose to study in the local universities, depending on the cohort, and the rest will go overseas.
20. What kind of courses can the student study in universities?
Around 80% will move on to do STEM related courses including quantitative finance. And the rest will go into non STEM related courses.
21. Do you think that it is too early to specialize in math & science? Can you comment about the pros and cons?
If your child is already showing signs that he/she is math/science inclined, then NUS High School provides the option broad option to read triple science.
Our students can choose to do an optional 4th major in the humanities and art, and they would be similar to a science-stream JC students. Majority of our students choose to do a triple science combination, which is not an available option in JCs.
22. Can student go back to mainstream if they cannot cope?
If a child is admitted via DSA, then student are committed to the school for 6 year unless there is extenuating reason and it will require MOE approval.
23. Does it mean you stand a greater chance entering NUS High if you have participated in the local Olympiad?
Anything that the child does to show their passion and strength in math and science will be considered. Participation in Olympiad is just one platform.
Questions 24 to 34 are applicable only to Year 1 Supplementary Intake Exercise (SIE).
24. Does NUSHS participate in the Secondary One (S1) posting exercise?
No. NUSHS does not participate in the S1 posting exercise. Students who wish to participate in the NUSHS SIE must apply online at our NUS High School Online Indication of Interest.
25. Do I need to participate in the S1 posting exercise if I’ve applied for NUSHS SIE?
Yes. You MUST continue to participate in the S1 Posting Exercise to opt for your six choices of schools and Third Language (if applicable). If you are successful in the NUSHS SIE and accepted the SIE’s offer, you will not be posted to another school under the S1 Posting Exercise. However, if you have opted for Third Language in the S1 Posting Exercise, it will still be processed based on your Third Language choices.
26. Can I apply SIE if I have applied for DSA-Sec but unsuccessful?
Yes. You may apply for SIE. Selection of applicants in the SIE will be based on the PSLE performance, the applicants' primary school's academic results, portfolio or other indications that show their aptitude and passion in math and science.
27. When can I register for NUSHS SIE?
You may indicate your interest & register online at NUS High School Online Indication of Interest and upload your scanned documents from 1 November 2022 to the third day of release of PSLE results. The SIE application will be open on the day of release of the PSLE results, if there are vacancies available.
28. Do I need to re-register online for SIE if I have already completed the online application for DSA-Sec via the MOE Centralised Online Portal?
Yes. For those who have applied for DSA-Sec via the MOE Centralised Online Portal previously, you MUST apply for the SIE via NUS High School Online Indication of Interest from 1 to 14 November 2022.
If we have vacancies and you are eligible for the SIE, you will need to fill in your P6 prelims, PSLE AL-scores and grades at the PSLE results submission portal from the first to the third day of release of PSLE results.
29. Can I request for an e-interview for SIE if I am overseas
during the SIE interview period?
No. You must attend the interview in NUS High School. Students who miss the interview is considered as a withdrawal from the SIE application.
30. What will happen to my SIE confirm offer for admission if I didn't accept within 24 hours?
The SIE confirm offer is considered as invalid if there is no written response from you within 24 hours. You will be posted to a secondary school based on your submitted school choices under the S1 Posting Exercise.
31. If I am posted to a secondary school via the DSA-Sec Exercise, am I still eligible for the SIE?
No. You are not eligible to apply for the Supplementary Intake Exercise (SIE).
32. I went through the Year 1 DSA-Sec selection but was not selected. Will the DSA-Sec performance still be taken into consideration in the SIE?
Selection of applicants in the SIE will be based on the PSLE performance, the applicants' primary school's academic results, portfolio or other indications that show their aptitude and passion in math and science.
33. What is the cut-off point for NUS High School?
As NUS High School is not in the S1 Posting Exercise, there is no cut-off point for NUS High School.
34. What if there is no vacancy available for SIE?
The SIE will not be opened.
Other information related to University and Career options, University Admissions can be found here.