Admissions & Application Matters
1. How many application phases are there per year?
For Year 1 admission in 2021, 100% of the places are offered via the DSA-Sec Exercise. Registration for DSA-Sec Exercise is at the MOE centralised DSA-Sec online portal from 12 May to 5 June 2020. For more details, please refer to MOE website – https://www.moe.gov.sg/dsa-sec.
If there are vacancies after the DSA-Sec Exercise, interested students must indicate their interest and register for the Supplementary Intake Exercise (SIE) from 1 November 2020 to the third day of release of PSLE results.
For Year 3 admission in 2021, the registration is from 24 to 28 August 2020 at NUS High School Online Application Portal.
2. How old must an applicant be to qualify for admission?
For admission to Year 1 at NUS High School, Singapore mainstream schools' applicants must currently be in Primary Six. Overseas applicants must either be currently reading or have completed Singapore Primary Six education (or its equivalent). In addition, applicants should not be older than 15 years of age as of 1 January 2021.
The application for admission to Year 3 at NUS High School is only open to Singapore mainstream school Secondary Two students who were not posted to a secondary school under the DSA-Sec Exercise or Admissions Exercise for International Student (AEIS), Returning Singapore Citizens (SC) and Returning Singapore Permanent Residents (SPR). Singapore mainstream schools' applicants must currently be in Secondary Two. Returning SC and Returning SPR must either be currently in or have completed Singapore Secondary Two education (or its equivalent). In addition, applicants should not be older than 17 years of age as of 1 January 2021.
3. What if I do not have internet access for online application?
For Year 1 DSA-Sec applicants with no internet access, please approach MOE Customer Service Centre.
For Year 3 Admission and Year 1 SIE applicants with no internet access, please approach NUS High School. We have prepared a laptop for you to apply online.
4. When do I have to submit the supporting documents to NUS High School?
For Year 1 DSA-Sec applicants:
Before the selection e-interview: Portfolio including scanned copies of P4 & 5 school report books, achievements, competitions, awards and scholarships certificates are to be submitted by 6 July 2020. Only applicants who have been shortlisted for the selection e-interview are required to do so.
For Year 3 Admission applicants:
Before the selection Interview day: Portfolio including photocopies of the Primary 6, Secondary 1 and Secondary 2 semester 1 school report books, awards, achievements and scholarships certificates are to be uploaded to the NUS High School Online Application Portal by 11 September 2020. All applicants are required to do so.
For Year 1 SIE applicants:
From 1 to 14 Nov 2020: Portfolio including photocopies of the P4, 5 & 6 school report books, awards, achievements and scholarships certificates are to be uploaded to the NUS High School Online Application Portal by 14 Nov 2020. All SIE applicants are required to do so.
As supporting documents are non-returnable, the applicant is advised to provide only scanned copies of the original documents.
5. What supporting documents do i need to submit to NUS High School? In what format should the documents be?
The shortlisted applicants (Year 1) and all applicants (Year 3) are to submit the following scanned documents in Jpeg or PDF format before attending the selection interview.
- P4 to P6 report books (Year 1) / P6 to Sec 2 report books (Year 3)
- Achievements certificates (optional)
- Awards & scholarships certificates (optional)
- Any other activities outside schools that showed the applicants' passion and talent in Math and/or Science (optional)
6. Does NUS High School admit students via DSA sports talents?
No. We only have Mathematics and Science talent areas for DSA-Sec.
7. Is there DSA selection test or camp before the e-interview this year? Is there Year 3 admission test and interview this year? Is there SIE interview this year?
For Year 1 DSA-Sec Applicants - Due to the Covid-19 situation, we will only have the e-interview in 2020.
For Year 3 Admission Applicants - Due to the Covid-19 situation, we will only have the interview in 2020. Only shortlisted applicants will attend the interview in September 2020.
For Year 1 SIE Applicants- We will have the interview within the Secondary One Option Phase for the shortlisted applicants.
8. How do you shortlist applicants for the e-interview?
We will shortlist the applicants through their primary school test and exam results (mastery of primary school syllabus in math and science), participation and achievements in math and science related competitions and programmes. We will also look at the related CCA achievements, awards, scholarships, projects and so on.
9. When will I be informed if I am shortlisted for the selection interview?
For Year 1 DSA-Sec applicants:
Shortlisted applicants will be informed by 26 June 2020. The e-interviews will be held from 8 July to 6 August 2020.
For Year 3 Admission applicants:
Shortlisted applicants will be informed after the portfolio evaluation process, which is by the third week of September 2020. The interview or e-interview will be held in September 2020.
For Year 1 SIE applicants:
Shortlisted applicants will be informed by the third day from the release of the PSLE results.
10. Where will the selection interview be held?
For Year 1 DSA-Sec applicants, the selection e-interview will be conducted at the applicants' primary school during the selection period. This avoids inter-mingling of students across schools, in line with safe distancing measures. It would also provide all students with access to video-conferencing capability, suitable venues and equipment, with standardisation of the setting and equipment to ensure fairness in the selection process.
For Year 3 Admission and Year 1 SIE applicants, the interview will be held at NUS High School. If e-interview has to be conducted, instructions will be given.
11. What will the selection interview be based on?
NUS High School considers various qualities and attributes and does not focus on students' past achievements alone. The selection interview assesses the understanding and application of mathematics and science that have been taught in schools. There will also be general knowledge questions to assess how widely read students are in the fields of mathematics and the sciences. We also look for qualities such as problem solving abilities, passion and motivation, independence, creativity and communication abilities. We will continue to adopt a holistic approach, even with e-modes.
12. What if I am unable to attend the selection interview?
Applicants who have registered but are unable to attend the selection e-interview or interview because of official engagement or medical condition will have to write in to the Principal at least one week in advance. The application will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
13. How would I know if I am accepted by NUS High School?
For Year 1 DSA-Sec, successful applicants will be notified and given a Letter of Offer (Confirmed Offer / Wait List) by 21 August 2020 via the main contact email address registered with MOE Centralised DSA-Sec Online Portal.
For Year 3 Admission, successful applicants will be notified and given a Letter of Confirmed Offer via e-mail by mid October 2020.
For Year 1 SIE, successful applicants will be notified and given a Letter of Offer (Confirmed Offer / Wait List) within the Secondary One Option Phase.
14. If I am posted to a secondary school via DSA-Sec Exercise, can I still apply for a transfer to other schools after getting the PSLE results?
No. You are not eligible for transfer unless there is / are extenuating reason(s).
15. Is ESIS applicable in NUSHS?
Yes. ESIS is awarded to students who are admitted to all independent schools, based on their PSLE results.
Questions 16 to 26 are applicable only to Year 1 Supplementary Intake Exercise (SIE).
16. Does NUSHS participate in the Secondary One (S1) posting exercise?
No. NUSHS does not participate in the S1 posting exercise. Students who wish to participate in the NUSHS SIE must apply online at our NUS High School Online Application Portal.
17. Do I need to participate in the S1 posting exercise if I’ve applied for NUSHS SIE?
Yes. You MUST continue to participate in the S1 Posting Exercise to opt for your six choices of schools and Third Language (if applicable). If you are successful in the NUSHS SIE and accepted the SIE’s offer, you will not be posted to another school under the S1 Posting Exercise. However, if you have opted for Third Language in the S1 Posting Exercise, it will still be processed based on your Third Language choices.
18. Can I apply SIE if I have applied for DSA-Sec but unsuccessful?
Yes. You may apply for SIE. Selection of applicants in the SIE will be based on the PSLE performance, the applicants' primary school's academic results, portfolio or other indications that show their aptitude and passion in math and science.
19. When can I register for NUSHS SIE?
You may indicate your interest & register online at NUS High School Online Application Portal and upload your scanned documents from 1 November 2020 to the third day of release of PSLE results. The SIE application will be open on the day of release of the PSLE results, if there are vacancies available.
20. Do I need to re-register online for SIE if I have already completed the online application for DSA-Sec via the MOE Centralised Online Portal?
Yes. For those who have applied for DSA-Sec via the MOE Centralised Online Portal previously, you MUST apply for the SIE via NUS High School Online Application Portal. You will need to fill in your particulars and school information, especially the P6 prelims, PSLE T-scores and grades at the NUS High School Online Application Portal from 1 November 2020 to the third day of release of PSLE results.
21. Can I request for an e-interview for SIE if I am overseas during the SIE interview period?
No. You must attend the interview in NUS High School. Students who miss the interview is considered as a withdrawal from the SIE application.
22. What will happen to my SIE confirm offer for admission if I didn't accept within 24 hours?
The SIE confirm offer is considered as invalid if there is no written response from you within 24 hours. You will be posted to a secondary school based on your submitted school choices under the S1 Posting Exercise.
23. If I am posted to a secondary school via the DSA-Sec Exercise, am I still eligible for the SIE?
No. You are not eligible to apply for the Supplementary Intake Exercise (SIE).
24. I went through the Year 1 DSA-Sec selection e-interview but was not selected. Will the DSA-Sec performance still be taken into consideration in the SIE?
Selection of applicants in the SIE will be based on the PSLE performance, the applicants' primary school's academic results, portfolio or other indications that show their aptitude and passion in math and science.
25. What is the cut-off point for NUS High School?
As NUS High School is not in the S1 Posting Exercise, there is no cut-off point for NUS High School.
26. What if there is no vacancy available for SIE?
The SIE will not be opened.
Other information related to University and Career options, University Admissions can be found here.